28 August, 2012

Ghost in the Machine

 
 
When I was in high school, I had a cassette-tape version of The Cure's Disintegration that I played to death.
I played that tape over and over again so many times that it was, quite literally, in the very state of disintegration that the name printed on its side suggested.
When I finally upgraded to a cd version, I kept the cassette.
It seemed almost poetic, a work of art.
(Dude. I was in high school.)
It is quite possibly still in the bottom of a box around here somewhere, along with a sizable stack of ticket stubs from Cure concerts going back as far as the Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me tour. They're the only stubs missing from my collection, and I'd love to know where they wound up.
But anyway. Back to the tape.
I was reminded of it recently when I happened upon the genius work of Erika Iris Simmons and her collection of cassette-tape art she calls "Ghost in the Machine ".
The collection consists of portraits that the Orlando-based artist creates from thrifted cassette tapes, depicting the bands and singers once held inside.


 
 
 
 
Mind-blowingly awesome.
xo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Truly amazing pieces!

Sharon said...

Fun-tastic! What an amazing artist!