18 May, 2011

Misguided Angel

When it comes to birthday cakes, the members of my family are all creatures of habit. There's my sister and her carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, my brother-in-law and his white cake (out of a box) with white icing (out of a can), my dad with his pumpkin pie (in June), and my mom with hers from the bakery department of the grocery store, with sugary frosting flowers. And, just like the rest of them, every time January rolls around, I put in my request for an angel food cake.

Funny thing about angel food cake- it's my hands-down favorite dessert, but I rarely eat it at any time other than my birthday. I hold it in high regard- a cake to be eaten only on the most special of days ;)



I've also never made an angel food cake. I mean, I've made one from a box mix, but anything that lists a cup of water as it's only added ingredient hardly counts. And since I had all of those egg whites left from the crème brûlée, I figured I'd give it a whirl.



I went with the loaf pan version, since it called for the amount of egg whites I had handy. I've never had much luck with egg whites...this time was no exception. It seems to be a bit lacking in that light, fluffiness that makes an angel food cake so...angelic. Guess we'll have to call it a chubby cherub cake.



Angelic or not, this little cake elicited no complaints.
Have a light and fluffy day, sweets!
xo

8 comments:

red.neck chic said...

You are SO much braver than I!!! That looks so good!

I've always wanted to take an angle food cake and see what size ball I could squish it in to...

;-D robelyn

Heather said...

That is sooo funny! It would be like a giant angel food donut hole :)

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum! I've been having a serious cake craving today. So bad!

Meine Dinge Franka said...

:-)
Nice and funny cakestory!

Salut!
Franka

dulci said...

yummy!

http://ladulcivida.blogspot.com/

Sophie said...

YUMM it looks amazing! i definitely want to make this. My cake of choice has to be the sponge cake! i love it so much but like you i only ever eat it on my birthday or special occasions like that haha x

Erin Lian said...

I love character cakes for my birthday, like Disney Princess or Dr Who :P Your cake looks lovely! I have never tried an angel food cake but you make it sounds licious!
<3

sweet harvest moon said...

Never heard of that cake before... looks yum!

Pumpkin is my favorite too :)

http://sweetharvestmoon.blogspot.com