01 August, 2011

Mix Tape Monday, Volume Video Killed The Radio Star

A rain-soaked hello and a late day welcome to August, Dear Readers!
It is indeed the first day of a new month, and a Monday to boot, making today Mix Tape Monday. We're changing things up a bit this time around, because today marks the 30th anniversary of the launch of MTV. And though I was but a wee small girl on that long-ago day, I still have hazy memories of watching those first few videos with my dad and my mom's brother (who was living with us at the time).
Which begs the question-what was I still doing up at midnight? Who was in charge there?

I came out of the womb loving music. So it's no wonder that actually seeing the songs that I loved so much made such a huge impact on my formative years. So, friends, today I invite you to take a little trip down memory lane with me, and watch some of the songs that shaped who I am today.
Enjoy.



The Pretenders, Brass In Pocket. There was really nothing special about this video. At all.
But my tiny self loved it. And has had a love/hate affair with bangs ever since.


Fleetwood Mac, Gypsy. I was obsessed with Stevie Nicks. I saw this, and my whole world changed.
To this day, I still answer the question "What do you want
to be when you grow up?" with these two words:
Stevie Nicks.


We didn't have cable for very long while I was growing up, so I missed a lot of videos. Jump ahead to 8th grade.
The Cure releases Disintegration, along with oddly colorful videos for a large number of the songs. Sunday nights are spent sleeping at friends' houses so I can see them all on 120 Minutes.
A new obsession has been born.



The Stone Roses, I Wanna Be Adored. A lifelong love affair with dreamy britpop began here.
And a good many hours were spent laying on the living room floor, listening to this album on the big headphones.

So there it is, a tiny slice of my life in music videos. I could probably have filled an entire day with little snippets of song, but these left the biggest mark.
What about you, Dear Readers?
On this MTV-aversary, what videos have made an impact on you?



No comments: