01 December, 2010

Today Is The Day

Today is a rather warm, windy, pelting rain kind of day. A seemingly ugly day. But not to me. After November ended in a whirlwind, December is finally here! You see, when my sister and I were little, Christmas merriment wasn't allowed to begin until December 1st. Otherwise, our mom would've had the two of us bouncing off the walls for entirely too long a period of time. Once December got here, though, we could start talking Santa and trees and presents, and sing carols 'til our hearts were content. This, like so many of the things instilled upon us by our parents during childhood, is a rule by which I still very loosely abide.

But today is the day. December is here, and the decorations are coming out. Antique glass balls are being oh-so-carefully unwrapped, garlands are being hung, and vintage nesting Santas are being un-nested. Cheesesy old black and white movies are playing in the background (think "The Bishop's Wife" and "Miracle On 34th Street"). I'm pretending that the weather outside, while frightful, isn't so much balmy and wet as it is cold and snowy. The cozy comforts of home are being transformed into a magical winter wonderland. And you can rest assured that tonight, when I go to sleep, visions of sugar plums will most definitely be dancing in my head.
xo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh... those little Papa Noël are perfect! I normally have the same 1st Dec rule but I didn't stick to it this year, oh well... ;)
You have been very busy writing here, I have much to catch up on!

Enjoy your decorating, I know I will!

Annabelle x