30 October, 2012

Who's That Girl

When I was a little girl, I wanted to be Wonder Woman.
I paraded around daily in my star spangled underoos, yellow plastic crown on my head, declaring whichever piece of furniture I was sitting on to be my invisible helicopter.
I also wanted to be Stevie Nicks.
I would wear one of my mom's flowered sundresses and spin around the backyard, pretending I was in the Gypsy video.
As a slightly older child, I wanted to be Barbara Walters, after doing a school report on female journalists. If Christiane Amanpour had been around then, I'm sure she'd have been the focus of that particular phase.
I still have the need-to-be-cut bangs from the time I wanted to be Chrissie Hynde.
 
But Stella Ehrhart takes things to an entirely new level.
The incredibly cool eight year old from Omaha, Nebraska, goes to school each day dressed as a different historical woman.
Activists, artists, actresses, singers, Ehrhart has dressed as them all.

Stella as Aung San Suu Kyi
 
Stella as Georgia O'Keefe
 
Stella as Joan Baez
 
 
Now that I'm an even bigger little girl, I kinda want to be Stella Ehrhart.
'Cause she's all kinds of awesome.
xo

No comments: